Course: Wearable and Implantable Computing [WIC]
The course provides an overview on the system design of wearable computing systems and implantable systems. Electronic design topics will be addressed, including bioelectronics, flexible electronics, electronics textile integration, multiprocess additive manufacturing. On the system functional level, frequent sensor and actuators and their designs for on-body and implantable systems are discussed. Powering and energy management concepts will be detailed, including processing and task scheduling, sparse sampling and sparse sample signal processing. Energy harvesting methods for wearable and implantable systems are analysed. Principles of biocompatibility and system validation for remote health monitoring are covered. Concrete design problems related to context awareness, energy-efficient context recognition, and mechanical design in medical applications are demonstrated, prototypes realised and discussed in mini-projects.
- Gain overview on context awareness, sensors and actuators for context management in digital health.
- Understand design concepts and apply/analyse wearable and implantable system design methods for accessories, smart textiles, skin-attachables using soft substrates, and encapsulation.
- Analyse the electrical and physical principles, select and optimise on-body energy harvesting and power management techniques.
- Apply system evaluation methods, assess and design for biocompatibility.
- Create continuous context recognition and energy-efficient processing using sparse sampling, related signal and pattern processing methods.
- Create digital models of wearable systems.
|Presence time||Lecture: 2 SWS, Exercise: 2 SWS|
|Useful knowledge||Basics of Matlab/Python, Basics in signal analysis & signal processing|
|Registration||Obligatory, via StudOn (ID 2168943)|
Registration via StudOn https://www.studon.fau.de/crs2168943_join.html obligatory. Please observe the registration times on StudOn.
Up-to-date literature recommendations are provided during the lectures.
- WPF MT-MA-BDV ab 1
- WPF MT-MA-MEL ab 1
- WPF MT-MA-GPP ab 1
- WPF MT-BA ab 5
- Written exam, 60 minutes
- For low participation numbers an oral exam may be held instead. The exam form will be communicated within 2 weeks after lecture start.